What is the Process of Getting MBBS Admission in UK?
Medicine is considered to be one of the most popular professions around the world. So, the level of competition in the Medicine Course is also higher than almost every other field of education. If we talk about the U.K Medicine is regarded as the most competitive course in the country and so every year not only the natives but also thousands of international students, if not more, apply for the MBBS course in U.K. Not only that, even the mid-tier colleges have high criteria for MBBS admission in U.K.
If you’re someone with strong determination and focused dreams and want to pursue medicine as a career, it is a good choice to apply for medical admission in UK.
However, there are certain criteria for UKCAT, English language proficiency, and many more that one needs to keep in mind before trying to get admission for MBBS in U.K.
Required Criteria to Get Admission for Medical in U.K.
The MBBS degree in the U.K. is known as M.B. (B.S., ChB or Bch) and is a bachelor’s degree. For students interested in pursuing a career in Obstetrics, they also need to do the Bachelors of Obstetrics or BAO courses. Anyone who is at least 18 years old can apply for MBBS admission in U.K.
In order to get admission for medical in the U.K., the first task in front of you will be to clear the University Clinical Aptitude Test or UCAT. UCAT or formerly known as the UKCAT is an aptitude test-launched in 2006 that tests the knowledge of the candidates applying to universities in the U.K., Australia and New Zealand for a degree course in medicine or dentistry or other health-related programs.
Along with the UCAT, there’s also the Bio-Medical Aptitude Test or BMAT. Depending on the field you are interested in pursuing higher studies in, you’ll have to clear these entrance exams with the minimum passing marks.
Whether you’ll need to clear the BMAT or the UCAT is totally dependent on the university you want to get enrolled in. Different universities have different preferences regarding the entrance tests for admission for medical in the U.K. Both the BMAT and UCAT have no restrictions on how many times a candidate can sit for the examination. However, one cannot reattempt it in a single year or one admission cycle.
There’s also another entrance examination known as the Graduate Australian Medical Schools Assessment Test or GAMSAT. Though first introduced in Australia, some of the medical schools in the U.K. also use this test for admission into a graduate-level medical course in UK.
The next criteria for MBBS admission in the U.K. is to take an English proficiency test like the IELTS and secure at least a minimum score of 6.5.
Minimum education qualification for MBBS admission in the U.K
1. The first educational qualification required for eligibility for MBBS in the U.K. is that you need to clear 10+2 in the science stream with a minimum percentage of 80%( the marks of biology and chemistry play a major role in this case.
2. Next, you need to clear the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test with the required score. The National Testing Agency conducts this national level test for students interested in pursuing higher education in the various fields of medicine.
3. The third step is to opt for the GAMSAT, UCAT or BMAT depending on the admission policy of your desired university and clear it with the required cut off score. At the same time, UCAT is completely skill-based and has a multiple questions pattern. The GAMSAT and BMAT require the candidate to have some prior knowledge of the subjects. They have an answer-based format, unlike the UCAT.
4. Clearing an English proficiency test like the IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5 is also necessary to get MBBS admission in UK. However, some universities may not require Indian students to have cleared it. In case they have done their schooling from an English medium school and have high educational credentials in the English language, they can be allowed to apply without the IELTS based on a simple video conferencing interview. However, it is always a good option to take the IELTS as it increases the weightage of your application.
What is the structure and duration of a medical course in the U.K.?
The medical course in the U.K. is a degree course and has a duration of 5 years. However, for students taking admission in graduate-entry programs, it is shortened to 4 years. In these five years duration, you’ll be taught the basic medical sciences and also provided clinical training in the wards. Students interested in Obstetrics will have to pass the Bachelor of Obstetrics examination.
After graduation, you need to enroll yourself in the Foundation Programme for two years. During this time, you will be registered provisionally and allowed to practice during the first year only. And after you complete the first year, full registration will be awarded to you.
In case you want to continue your studies after completing the Foundation Programme, you can opt for a Postgraduate course that will take from 5 to 7 years to complete.
What is the fee structure of MBBS in the U.K.?
There isn’t any fixed fee structure for MBBS in the U.K. Different colleges charge different amounts of tuition fees. While the prestigious colleges might charge a hefty amount, there are also some economical options available. Still, on average, the tuition fees may go from around 1,80,0000 to 2,00,000. It is to be noted that along with the tuition fee, you’ll also have other expenses like travel, food and accommodation, monthly expenses, etc. All accounted, the total amount can be somewhere between 50,00000 to 70,0000.
Some universities provide certain scholarship programs for international students to subsidize their academic cost. These scholarships are given based on the educational merits of the students.
What are the documents required for getting admission for MBBS in the U.K.?
The documents required for getting admission for MBBS in UK are as follows:
- Passport size photographs.
- Passport and visa.
- Birth certificate
- Marksheets of the prior academic career.
- Permission letter from the U.K. Embassy.
- Test scorecards like IELTS, UCAT, BMAT, etc.
- NEET marksheet.
- School leaving certificate.
- Character certificate issued by the school.
1. Is doing a medical course in the U.K. a good decision?
U.K. universities claim to be one of the best in the field of medical courses and have been producing several renowned Medical professionals.
2. Do I need to attempt both BMAT and UCAT?
No, the candidate can attempt only one of the two depending on which entrance test is accepted by the desired college.
3. Is NEET compulsory?
Yes, for Indian candidates willing to do a medical course in the U.K.
The U.K. is considered to be one of the best places to study medicine. In fact, not only is the medical degree from U.K. colleges recognized by MCI and other world councils, but the U.K. also boasts of producing some of the best in the field medical personnel.
So if you’re serious about having a glorious career in the field of medicine, doing a medical course in the U.K. can be one of the best investments in your life.